Tuesday, June 10, 2008

A Dissenting Opinion on the Question of 'Management'

Alright, I see the humor. But I really think that of all the dumbass signs on churches, this one is actually not bad. (I'm grading on a curve.)

Here's the core of my argument:

A more evangelically acceptable word for management is 'stewardship.' If the congregation or leadership of the congregation in question (or whoever does the signs) had chosen to use more Christian-sounding words, I don't think you would be laughing as hard. If this is true, the initial criticism reflects a cultural bias -- that of one living the Redstate Evangelical Experience. In effect, you are simply laughing because the congregation in question was unable to put into appropriate words a process that takes place everywhere in said culture. You seem not to be criticizing the process, but the linguistic dressing of it.

Jordan, when you say essentially, 'if not God, then Satan', I think you may be missing it.

Is it really God's role to 'manage' a church?

A synonym of 'steward' according to my Mac is 'custodian.' Would you expect the role of a church custodian to be filled by God or by Satan? Of course not. If no one vacuums the floors in 'God's house'-- I would argue-- God's probably not going to pick up the slack. I would thus argue that 'custodian' is a role that should be ascribed to a natural being, not a supernatural one.

I realize I'm making a bit of a jump here. I've equated 'steward' with 'custodian' (rightly, I think), but then taken an alternate meaning of 'custodian' to illustrate my point. I hope you'll see past this logical transgression to the point, which I still think is valid.

I agree that the church on Anthony has chosen wording that may be seen as vulgar or crude, but I am tempted to take this 'social misstep' (according to the interpretation I'm here espousing) as a reflection of the opposite of presumption and pretension and consequently, to forgive said socially awkward phrasing.

Perhaps it is a bit pedantic for me to parse words like this. If so, I beg your pardon.

In reading over what I've just read, I feel I should mention a podcast I've been listening to for months now. I feel I owe something of my argument to the podcast, at least in terms of style. But that's just the impression I was left with. The podcast is from the Princeton Review, it's called 'LSAT Logic in Everyday Life.' It's short, sweet, and usually pretty stimulating.

I hope I am always open to engagement. I'd love to hear where I am missing it, if anyone is gracious enough to point it out.

All the best from Paris, Gents.

xx

6 comments:

Joshua said...

It is taking me awhile to get through this post Eric, as I have to look up alot of the words you used.

JDillon said...

that was just one direction my mind went with the sign in and instant sans introspective philosophy, logic, or theology.

thoughtful response and noted, it was simply ironic to me that what I (and some others) view as the Churches goals/models has little or nothing to do with modern business models was communicated in medium and language that is born in the business model.

your point about the synonym of 'steward' instead of 'manager' is a good one and if the marquee (not the sign hanging from four cornered ropes atop the marquee) had read 'under new stewardship' i probably wouldn't have noticed...or just thought it was overspiritualized and cheesy.
point taken

Eric Spreng said...

ha. actually, i didn't really picture it hanging from a sign with ropes. that does in fact add to the humor. i went back and read the initial post and that detail was in fact there. somehow i completely missed it.

Paul David McComas said...

Eric,

As I read your post I pictured you sitting at a cafe in a baret and with a cigarette hanging from your bottom lip (I know that smoking is illegal in Paris now, but it is still what I pictured). Your points are well taken and I do not believe that Jordan was in any way indicating that the humor was in this particular congregation's poor word choice (what is more likely is that they got a good deal on a used sign from the local barber shop that no longer needed it) Words have meaning, and there are reasons, often unintentional and therefore revealing, that synonyms are chosen over another. If a girl says she is glad that we are "friends". This means a lot more than if she says she is glad we are "pals". Synonyms yes. Same meaning, no. The juxtaposition of the word management which is so commonly used with businesses is rarely or never used with church leadership. There may be an intentional effort to keep business terms away from the spiritualized construct of stewerdship, but you are right that there are managerial type of things that go on in churches all the time, such as paying the light bill and vacuuming. The phrase under new management is only used when a new owner, opperator, leader, wants the general public to know that any bad vibes or feelings about the establishment should be ascribed to the previous managers and that we as the public should be willing to give the establishment another try now that a new leader is in place. Therein lies the humor. The irony of seeing a church, which is under God's leadership, can not be under new management unless of course a new deity has been selected. I believe that this was an attempt at humor, like many other poorly worded church signs, maybe it was a self aware statement to point to the over westernization of the church, or maybe it was simply to grab attention, or maybe the church recently had a split and was wanting some previous members to give it another chance with a new pastor. Either way the humor holds true regardless of the authorial intent. The more business variation of the idea juxtaposed with a church. It would be the same if the converse were true. A sign in front of the 5th Avenue Apple store that said "Free Trip to Heaven, Details Inside" (or insert other commonly used bad church marquee phrase) OK maybe some people do worship Steve Jobs and all things Apple, but hopefully you get the idea. I followed your argument and agree with Jordan's comment that had it said "stewerdship" it would have not registered. Thanks for a great post and I hope you are loving a parisian summer. Feel free to post some topless photos (of you) on the Seine beach. P3 has gone global, baby. J'espaire que tu a une tres bon temp en Paris cette ete. Nous te souvenerons. Is that right??

Joshua said...

Yes! Paul, thanks for not letting us down in your response. I knew you were up to the linguistic challenge that Eric laid before you. I will now try to use juxtapose in three conversations today, and at least once while i am beating you in cornhole.

JDillon said...

boys, i gotta get in on some of that cornhole...Man - that came out wrong...